I’ve done things I am not proud of. I’ve made split-second choices and long thought out decisions that, whether right or wrong, have shaped who I am. Here’s my top twenty. . .
- I’d pretend to “run away” from home and proclaim I was adopted but the only attention it’d get me is from my little sister who loved me more than Barbies.
- I have kept the money when the cashier gave me too much change.
- That one time we were all playing in the old Mustang in the garage, I opened the car door knowing she’d fall onto the concrete floor. She was the bratty sister of my friend and we were all annoyed with her.
- When I worked at Baskin-Robbins, I gave away so much free ice cream and watched other coworkers do the same. It’s a wonder that place is still in business.
- I hit a car in a parking lot but didn’t leave a note.
- You were right about that one guy. I just couldn’t face the truth then.
- I used some of the free Jamba Juice coupons donated to my place of employment for myself.
- I slept with an ex while he was dating someone else. He’s marrying that someone else now.
- I’ve driven drunk.
- I threw a potted plant at someone who had hurt me. It didn’t hit him. . .but I kind of wish it had.
- I’ve made people feel small so I could feel bigger.
- I hoped the most popular girl in school would have a very pathetic future because she was so mean to me.
- I fell in love with another woman’s husband. She found out. She must hate me. (I don’t blame her.) They are still together.
- I gave a fellow student my homework to copy in 8th grade.
- I never believed he would change but. . .I always hoped.
- I say I don’t want to get married but 75% of that is just pure fear that no one will ever want to marry me.
- I’ve never faked an orgasm. Mostly because I worry I’d do it wrong.
- I’ve never made myself throw up in an effort to lose weight…but I’ve thought about it.
- I’ve fooled around with someone else before I’d completely ended the relationship I was in.
- That wasn’t sage that you smelled in my room.
I wonder: Are we born with character or does it develop? Can the good in a person out-weigh the bad?
“This is my skeleton/This is the skin it’s in/That is according to light and gravity/I’ll take off my disguise/The mask you met me in/’Cuz I got something for you to see/Just gimme your skeleton/Give me the skin it’s in/Yeah baby, this is you/According to me/I never avert my eyes/I never compromise/So never nevermind the poetry. . .” -Shameless, Ani Difranco