I saw this on Jodi’s blog and then on Jen’s blog the other day and while I sucked at guessing which movies their quotes were from (maybe I got 2 out of 15), I thought it was a fun way to involve the masses. Here’s how it works, should you decide to participate, too:
* Pick 15 of your favorite movies
* Go to IMDB and find a quote from each movie (or quote them from memory because you are that bad ass)
* Post them on your blog for everyone to guess
* Fill in the film title once it’s been guessed
These are your rules:
* No Googling or using IMDB search functions (Don’t cheat!)
* Leave your answer(s) in the comments
- “Marriages don’t break up on account of infidelity. It’s just a symptom that something else is wrong.” (When Harry Met Sally- guessed by Mainly Clear Skies)
- “I want to see what love looks like when it’s triumphant. I haven’t had a good laugh in a week.” (It Happened One Night- guessed by NO ONE, not even my BFF Mikey who absolutely loves this movie got this. Way to be obscure, Sizz. Stumped y’all!)
- “Listen… do you smell something?” (Ghostbusters- guessed by The Fella)
- “This is ridiculous. It’s crazy. I feel like I’m babysitting, except I’m not getting paid.” (The Goonies- guessed by Mainly Clear Skies)
- “My life is made up of units of time. Buying CDs – two units. Eating lunch – three units. Exercising – two units. All in all, I had a very full life. It’s just that it didn’t mean anything.” (About a Boy- guessed by Mrs. Ca)
- “It would be wonderful to say you regretted it. It would be easy. But what does it mean? What does it mean to regret when you have no choice? It’s what you can bear. There it is. No one’s going to forgive me. It was death. I chose life.” (The Hours- guessed by Snackie’s World)
- “You’ll figure that out. The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you.” (Lost in Translation- guessed by Gorillabuns)
- “Good Morning! Welcome to another day of higher education!” (Pretty In Pink- guessed by Refuse to Blog)
- “This list… is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.” (Schindler’s List- guessed by Mainly Clear Skies)
- “Yes, goddammit. I’m going to have the fucking poached salmon, with the son-of-a-bitching rice, and a dirty bastard salad with a shitload of Roquefort dressing. Thank you. And um, who knows what this asshole wants.” (Dogfight- guessed by Snackie’s World)
- “Well, I did. Every one of ’em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out.” (Casablanca- guessed by Mainly Clear Skies)
- “Till you do right by me, everything you even think about gonna’ fail.” (The Color Purple- guessed by I Found A Fatal Flaw…)
- “You think you’re easy? Compared to what, the Hundred Years’ War?” (The Way We Were- guessed by Pseudotherapy)
- “It was a really awful day. I know, I made sure of it. So pick up the cookie, dip it in the milk, and eat it.” (Stranger Than Fiction- guessed by Diane and My 33 People – a tie)
- “Did your mother have any kids that lived?” (Stand By Me- guessed by Quarterlife Crisis)
**Bonus for who can guess the movie the title quote comes from.** (Say Anything- guessed by Almost Lucid)
(Oh and hey, I finally got off my bum and submitted a post to Indie Bloggers. If you haven’t checked out that site, you should. There are some really great posts coming through that feed.)
I stink at these, so I’ll have to take some time. But I SOOO knew the title right away! Priorities, right? 🙂
2. sounds familiar, but I’m drawing a blank
9. Schindler’s list
13. one with streisand and robert redford – can’t think of the name.
Congrats on being featured on Indie Bloggers!!
And I couldn’t quote a movie unless I watched it like a million times. I’m so bad at that!
Wow, do I need to get to more movies or get myself registered with Netflix! I was clueless on every one of them!! I’ll definitely check out Indie Bloggers.
#15 is Stand By Me!
That’s all I got, how sad!
DAMN reading this two minutes til 8 a.m.!!! I’ll be back when I have time to type. And I’m SO doing this on my blog soon.
#13 – The Way We Were?
I’m thinking the title is from Say Anything. Sounds like Lloyd Dobler.
8. Pretty in Pink 😛
Is number 5 About a Boy? I know I’ve seen the movie it’s in, I just can’t seem to place it absolutely.
#14 is from Stranger Than Fiction. Luckily I saw this recently. 😉
yep, #14 is Stranger than fiction… I also saw this recently : )
I’ve seen this post floating around the Internet this week, too. And you know what? I SUCK AT THE MOVIE GAME. I never remember what movies I’ve seen, let alone quotes. So, ummmmm … heheheh … thanks for making me feel dumb. Sheesh!
Is #12 the Color Purple? I was SURE you would have something on here from Steel Magnolias, alas…. 🙂
Oh, and I’m totally stealing this idea for next week! 🙂
#5. About a boy
Is #6 from Trainspotting?
I didn’t know any! I’m hopeless at these things. I am absolutely going to steal it though ;o)
Pingback: An Interactive Movie Meme « Wafelenbak!
#10 – Dogfight (Lili Taylor, my fave!)
I am so doing this on my blog for today’s post! Or maybe next week…I dunno, but I am doing it 🙂
#6 is The Hours.
Sadly I know this more from skit comedy parodies than the regular movie ;).
Two left- I marked them in BOLD.
You guys are doing a bang up job. 🙂
Oh Sizzle, Why do you do make me think? It’s Friday and my brain is kentucky fried! I don’t know these but wil be sure to do this on my blog.
I love “About a Boy” so much and was giddy when I read that quote.
Also, fun game. I might just have to play along.
Whoa…I made it to the party late. Fun game though, huh?
I loooooved Stranger than Fiction. Awesome.
I wish I had read this earlier. I only know the ones that have been answered.
I suck at these, but went and read your post at IB. It was beautiful.
#2 lost in translation:)
Oh rats! I stink at those.
Wow! Congratulations on Indie Bloggers! I am going to check it out right now !!!
I meant #7 actually
OMIG! You brought tears to my eyes.
That was beautifully written and …. and ….. and I’m glad you shared. I know where you are coming from. XOXO
That post on IB was amazing.
Very moving post at IB. Excellent work.
Some of these turned out to NOT be the movie I thought they were! And a couple of them I recognized but couldn’t place. Now I read the movie name and smack myself. Fun game! Mine will be very different movies, though.
wow I didn’t recognize any. though for some strange reason I have a lot of Disney animations stored in my brain. As a kid I had a friend, that would sit and redo The lion kid word for word, and also the songs [memories]
Siz – read your indie post. Great writing. Hope it works out for the best for your friend.
Pingback: That’s great, kid. Don’t get cocky.* » catheroominations
Oh, sizzle! Congratulations on the IB post. Your submission is one of my favorites of all that I have read while visiting here.
And thanks for the heads up on IB. Love it!
I used to do these before pretty regularly on my blog, but then I started running out of movies that most people had seen. It’s sometimes hard to do these unless you’ve seen the movie many times — I haven’t seen some of the ones on your list or maybe just one time a few years ago, so i probably would’ve had a hard time with it. Another one I used to do was posting audio clips from the soundtracks. that might be fun to do again, now that Blogger offers the uploads for free (before I had to pay for the service and it wasn’t really worth it).
I actually knew “triumphant” – too bad I haven’t been around in a bit. Sorry. Werk is kicking my ass.
I love your favorite movie list. Especially The Goonies, When Harry Met Sally and Ghostbusters. Bravo.
I also thinks it’s awesome that I just spelled my own name wrong on the afore-posted comment. BraVO!
If I had been on the ball this week end I would still have only got 8 & 12. My movie trivia is the pits.
I so sucked at this- and having read it late I miss out on guessing but I do have to say that I love your taste in movies. Say Anything pretty much changed my life the first time I saw it, with your post title being one of my all-time favourite lines ever. (It’s also one of the lines I quote often when drinking.)
I love SAY ANYTHING.
I love John Cusak.
I STILL want to marry Lloyd Dobbler.
Obviously I’m too late to play… 😦
Loved your post on Indie and, yes, there are lots of good posts there. Thanks for the link!
Pingback: Indecent Proposal, 1993