Yesterday before 10am I had:
- Scheduled the plumber to check out the leaking pipe in the laundry room, the backed up drain in one apartment, and the shower head/tub malfunction in another.
- Scheduled the heater repair man to come out today to make sure one woman’s heater was safe since when she turned it on this weekend she woke up to smoke billowing out of it (and subsequently called the fire department after I did not answer my phone) (because I left my phone in my car while I was shopping at Target).
- Scheduled the locksmith to make a mailbox key for a tenant who lost hers and to replace a door knob missing all its mechanism (you could lock the top lock but the door knob did not latch or turn since it was missing all its parts).
- Ordered blinds for three units.
- Figured out what weather stripping is and how one goes about installing it.
- Stopped by the locksmith to get keys copied.
- Faxed the rent sheet to the landlord because, yes, that tenant STILL has not paid rent.
- Called the tenant with the heater problem to notify her of repairman’s visit.
- Talked to the maintenance guy about the scheduled light repair in one unit, ceiling repair in another and broken mirror removal in another.
Then later that day I:
- Spent thirty minutes on the phone with the landlords going over the law regarding notices for not paying rent and not keeping a unit clean.
- Wrote up and delivered my first three day pay or vacate notice. (Not fun at all.)
- Dropped off a copy of a mailbox key only to find out from the tenant’s visiting mother that she lost ALL her keys and needed an apartment key too. (This is the third set she will have had.) (I was JUST AT the locksmith this morning, damn it!)
- Heard from tenant that he measured inaccurately and the five blinds I ordered for him are wrong. Argh!
- Wrote up a ten day compliance notice for a tenant whose apartment is SO MESSY that it is a fire hazard.
- Left a voice mail for a tenant to discuss an incident that occurred on Friday night between a friend of his and a tenant. Apparently she was trying to ask him to turn his music down and the friend, who might have been drunk and/or high blocked her way back down the stairs while saying threatening things. Once she passed him and got back to her apartment, she could hear him saying she attacked him and they should call the police. (How I sleep through this shit is beyond me.) That will be a fun conversation, won’t it?
- Fielded an email about an electrical outlet problem in an upstairs unit. Added it to my growing list of things to take care of.
- Second-guessed giving my tenants holiday treat bags with home baked goods.
When it rains, it pours. Seriously, they aren’t kidding!