I realize that American Idol is not everyone’s bag but seriously, that finale show last night? Was AWESOME. It was just one star after another. Queen Latifah was there looking fabulously sexy even though someone shoe horned her into a futuristic tight jumpsuit (wardrobe!) and Cyndi Lauper was all cool with her crazy hair looking at Allison and thinking “I could be your Mom” and Jason Mraz was “I love hats!” and Lionel Richie was dancing on the ceiling and the Black Eyed Peas made white people in the audience try to dance and Rod Stewart looked a little bit like he just woke up from a nap or he and Paula were sipping the sauce backstage but he’s Rod Fucking Stewart (no really, that’s his official middle name) so he can get away with that (though he might end up joining his son in Celebrity Rehab) and Carlos Santana stood on a little platform playing his guitar like some sort of god and Steve Martin played the banjo- who knew he wrote songs too? (His talents are endless.) And K.I.S.S. was there! I remember the neighbor boy I had a crush on when I was little had a glow in the dark poster of them in his room. It scared the crap out of me.
Dude, it was EPIC.
Yeah, so, I danced in my living room but this time I did not videotape it. (Lesson learned.) I can’t remember a finale show being that entertaining before and I’ve been watching from the start. I AM AN IDOL NERD. Don’t judge. Just be glad I haven’t geeked out weekly here about it because trust me when I tell you I have opinions.
Apologies to those of who could care less and follow me on Twitter.
Even though the results were prematurely leaked to me (I am looking at YOU East Coast Tweeters!), I still reveled in the moment. I know the show gets a bad rap but for a girl like me who always secretly dreamed of being a singer, I love it. I get to live vicariously through their journeys. This year the contestants really showed their uniqueness. Adam and Kris were the two left standing because of their incredible talent and the fact that they both stayed true to themselves while really changing up songs that had been covered many times before. I definitely applaud them for that. There really aren’t losers when it comes down to the final two on Idol. Both of them will have great careers ahead of them.
And that’s my unsolicited two cents.
To follow in the Idol footsteps, I’ve compiled a list of songs that I think are really awesome covers by really talented artists. Please add your favorites to the comments! If you comment between now and Tuesday, you’ll be entered to win a mix cd of some of the songs listed here made by little ol’ me. Mail! From me! You know you want it.
- Me First & the Gimme Gimme’s cover of Lionel Richie’s Hello
- Angie Aparo’s cover of Elton John’s Rocket Man
- Everything But the Girl’s cover of Tom Waits’ Downtown Train
- Joshua Radin’s cover of Yaz’s Only You
- Tristan Prettyman’s cover of Britney Spear’s Toxic
- Indigo Girls’ cover of Dire Straits’ Romeo & Juliet
- Bad Astronaut’s cover of Elliott Smith’s Needle in the Hay
- Sara Bareilles’ cover of Otis Redding’s Sitting on the Dock of the Bay
- Madeleine Peyroux’s cover of Leonard Cohen’s Dance Me to the End of Love
- Diana Krall’s cover of Joni Mitchell’s Case of You
- Cake’s cover of Gloria Gaynor’s I Will Survive
- Dixie Chicks cover of Fleetwood Mac’s Landslide
- Cat Power’s cover of Phil Phillips’ Sea of Love
- Katie Thompson’s cover of Crowded House’s Fall at Your Feet
- Martin Sexton’s cover of Prince’s Purple Rain
- Tori Amos’ cover of the Led Zeppelin’s Whole Lotta Love
- Aretha Franklin’s cover of Judy Garland’s Somewhere Over the Rainbow
If you don’t know who these artists are than that’s even more reason for you to comment so you can maybe win the cd. Like, duh.